In-depth explanation of the very versatile verb なる.Need help?
Leader, Commander, Soon
Negative, Bad, Ugly
To become, To get
Light, Bright, Cheerful
Thing, Incident, Event
Anxiety, Worry, Fear
In this lesson, we will look into the verb なる which means “become”. なる can be used immediately after nouns and adjectives. なる can also be written using kanji (成る) but is often written using hiragana instead. When an い-adjective is used with なる, the final character becomes く instead of い. When a noun or な-adjectives is used with なる, the に particle is placed before the なる. Here are some examples:
- 明るくなる : to become bright/brighter
- 不安になる : to become anxious
- 医者になる : to become a doctor
Here are those examples as part of complete sentences:
- The sky became brighter in the morning.
- I sometimes become anxious about future things.
- I will become a doctor in the future.